There are a few indoor ice skating rinks here in southern California, but until 2003, I don’t believe there has been an outdoor skating rink around here . Irvine Spectrum has been doing an outstanding job of making their outdoor mall a destination for families, and the ice rink is just one great attraction.
From the OC REgister:
By HANNAH MADANS / STAFF WRITER
” The Irvine Spectrum Center has opened its 47-by-72-foot ice rink. The rink will remain open until Feb. 15.
Skating sessions run 74 minutes and cost $15 if you bring your own skates or $18.50 if you rent skates at the rink.
In honor of the annual ice rink, we put together a list of fun facts to know:
• The rink weighs 51,840 pounds or 18 pounds per square foot;
• The rink is maintained by a custom Zamboni, the smallest in the world;
• More than 25,000 skaters hit the ice here each year;
• Season passes are available;
• Private parties can rent out the rink;
• Three couples have gotten engaged on the rink;
• The rink made its debut in 2003.
Contact the writer: email@example.com or Twitter: @HannahMadans ”